The Mountain Party proposes a Green New Deal for West Virginia, to create high paying, secure jobs to build the future economic infrastructure based in clean, renewable energy. Our goal is a 100% clean energy system by 2030, in addition to reconstructing all economic sectors for ecological sustainability, from agriculture and manufacturing to housing and transportation.
The Green New Deal for West Virginia must include an Economic Bill of Rights, a concept introduced by President Roosevelt in 1944 to develop programs to secure basic economic human rights for all. Additionally, it must include a Green Economy Reconstruction Program, to reinvigorate rural communities, create living wage jobs, and protect the environment.
Once feedback from the public is gathered, the Mountain Party will devise specific policies to address
Our detailed Economic Bill of Rights will include the following:
- Job Guarantee
- Basic Income Guarantee
- Housing and Transportation For All
- Medicare For All / National Health Service
- Lifelong Free Public Education
- A Secure Retirement
Our Green Economy Reconstruction Program will include the following:
- Interstate Renewable Electricity System
- West Virginia’s Geothermal potential alone could power the Eastern Seaboard
- Public Power Utilities
- Public-ownership of fossil fuels (to be phased out)
- Investment in Public Transit
- Energy Efficient Buildings with Rooftop Solar
- Publicly Owned High-Speed Internet System
- Infrastructure Reconstruction
- Green Manufacturing
- Agriculture and Rural Reconstruction
- Civilian Conservation Corps
- Zero-Waste Recycling
In order to achieve these goals, we can no longer continue to build new fossil fuel infrastructure.
Therefore, the West Virginia Mountain Party opposes the creation of the Appalachian Storage Hub petrochemical complex, a short-sighted, boondoggle that will only further exacerbate climate change and increase the likelihood of an environmental disaster.